- Never open a book with weather.
- Avoid prologues.
- Never use a verb other than “said” to carry dialogue.
- Never use an adverb to modify the verb “said” …
- Keep your exclamation points under control.
- Never use the words “suddenly” or “all hell broke loose.”
- Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
- Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
- Don’t go into great detail describing places and things.
- Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.
In addition to rules for writing, perhaps someone needs to write up some rules for civilized book publishing/selling. There's a war taking place in the publishing industry, which of course means that there have been plenty of casualties.
WRITER LIFE PINTEREST BOARD