Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Readings for Black History Month and Beyond




































I recently compiled a list of titles for FlashlightWorthyBooks.com that explore race relations in America from days of slavery to the modern era. Most deal with the complex relationship between African Americans and White Americans, with the exception of one that focuses on Japanese Americans struggling to be seen as simply American citizens. From the days of enforced servitude where the nature of a one sided power struggle was characterized by evil and blatant cruelty, to contemporary times where much has changed for the better yet problematic attitudes persist on all sides, the issues addressed by such literature are not simplistic. My goal therefore was to present a broad range of perspectives rather than one dominated by a particular outlook.


To check out what I had to say about each novel and perhaps decide to add some of them to your own reading list, CLICK HERE


~

~

Paintings shown above are by Erin Rogers Pickering and James Ransome. Photographer who took picture of boy reading is unknown.

~

~

In honor of Black History month in addition to my book list I also created a treasury from art selected on Etsy. So much fantastic stuff to choose from but I was confined to maximum of 16 items so selected with great care. Check it out

I also created a Pinterest board dedicated to Black History Month.

2 comments:

  1. I love the picture of the little boy sitting on the basketball and reading! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, he's adorable. I think of my grandsons.

    ReplyDelete