Monday, March 23, 2009

Today is my birthday







Being that today is my birthday, it feels like I should have something profound to say about the state of the world, or at least about the state of my life. But I don't. Taking stock I can accurately claim to have the love of a good woman, a wonderful daughter, and I'm still in hot pursuit of my dreams. Some might say that true happiness would require that I had already caught them, but I'm not too sure about that. There is much to be said for the thrill of the chase, about appreciating the journey rather than being fixated on the destination at the expense of contentment of soul. Would I be in seventh heaven had I received a six (or better yet, seven) figure deal from a major publishing house for the rights to my first novel? No doubt.  Am I nevertheless greatly enjoying my efforts to create awareness of the existence of Patches of Grey? <in best Sarah Palin voice> You betcha! By being the publisher as well as the author, I am more connected to the process than I probably would have had I simply put the majority of marketing and promotional and sales responsibility into the hands of others while sitting back and waiting to collect royalties. Will this lead to me eventually sitting across from Oprah telling her and the rest of America about what inspired my prose? Not statistically likely, but I'm ruling no possibility out. Fame and fortune are not in my present and may not lie in my future, but with 4+ decades under my belt I can honestly say that things have never been better and I see nothing but blue skies ahead smiling at me.  Perhaps I should take all of this positive energy and write a second book.  Oh wait, that's already in the works.  If Patches of Grey won't do the trick then I'll close my eyes, blow out the candles and make birthday wishes that Matters of Convenience will carry me to literary stardom.  Whether those wishes come true or not, completing book # 2 can mean only one thing...getting started on book # 3.  For writers, 365 days per year, writing is the gift that keeps on giving.  So in a way every day is my birthday.

- Roy



1 comment: