Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Making the most of my commute


In my ongoing quest to slot time into my day to sketch, paint, connect with my creative side, etc. I have tapped into my commuting time. I have found I can draw on anything - sitting or standing. Used to be I needed a lovely sketchbook, the right texture paper, a special pen, a peaceful setting, northern light – you get the idea. I needed the perfect set up and supplies. Those days are gone.

I fight tooth and nail for my creative outlet and have let all the trappings fall by the wayside. The result – I am doing it!

I drew this standing up on a packed train, in my 3.5x6.5” day-timer notebook, with whatever pen I had in my bag. None of that mattered. I had an idea and I acted on it… captured the essence of all 3 of us in that initial drawing. Then I started to get in my own way… Redrawing, fixing, adjusting, scanning, tweaking. All of that produced no better results then my original off-the-cuff, at-the-moment drawing.

Note to self: draw, don’t fuss.
erin


PS – I just read "The War of Art" by Steven Pressfield yet again. I think it’s starting to sink in.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo, this excellent idea is necessary just by the way

    ReplyDelete