Monday, October 24, 2022

Shepherd.com

 

I was approached by the fine folks at Shepherd.com to put together a list of books exemplifying a theme of my choosing. Honored to be asked, I gave it my best shot. Understood was that my list would be in excellent company, since as you'll see if you peruse this fantastic web site, there are many excellent book compilations at Shepherd to examine. For example, there's this collection put together by Shannon Gibney on The best YA and MG books about the Black experience

After a good deal of contemplation I decided on a subject that I am frequently drawn to read as well as write about, and then I selected a group of novels that explore it in a most compelling fashion. It was not my intention to select only books by women, but just happened to work out that way. Now you can read my thoughts on five novels I categorized as:


Have you read The Mothers (Brit Bennett) or Silver Sparrow (Tayari Jones) or The Star Side of Bird Hill (Naomi Jackson) or The Girl Who Fell from the Sky (Heidi W. Durrow) or Breath, Eyes, Memory (Edwidge Danticat) yet? Do you agree with my take that they are among The best novels about Black family dynamics? Perhaps you have some alternate/additional suggestions? If so I'd love to hear your thoughts either here or at Shepherd.com.

Be sure to stop by Shepherd.com, check out some of the wonderful book lists, and perhaps you'll be inspired to make lists of your own.




p.s - Below you will find not just any old video from my booktube channel Roy's Book Reviews, but my 100th video!!!

 

 Happy Reading! And groovy listening.


No comments:

Post a Comment